ARC FLASH STUDIES
What is Arc Flash
A life threatening electrical arc event can happen when a powered-on piece of electrical equipment is opened for maintenance or repair.
What causes Arc Flash
- Improper tools
- Poor work techniques
- Inadequate maintenance of repair
Reasons for Arc Flash Studies
Arc flash studies are a crucial part of creating a safe and reliable power supply for data centers, manufacturers, health care facilities and any organization with large amounts of switch gear and electrical equipment. A detailed analysis should include:
- When any changes have taken place with the electrical system, including the utility and distribution systems
- When short circuit and protective device coordination analysis has not been carried out in 5-6 years
- When your insurance policy falls under a renewal period
Arc flash studies should occur every 3-4 years to maintain equipments properly and meet changes to OSHA regulations.
Benefits of an Arc Flash Study
- Increase in personal safety
- Increase in operational efficiency of a facility and decrease in the amount of down time
- Prevention of arc flash electrical incidents
- Proper maintenance and protection of equipment
- Reduction in accidents and related damages.
BASS Electric performs arc flash studies to save lives and ensure smooth operations:
- Label each piece of equipment with a safety rating
- Make sure all future maintenance and repair crews understand the proper level of personal protective equipment (PPE) necessary
- Reduce hazards and increase up time.